When the baby sleeps, then you watch the NBA

The life of a baby is fascinating.

Case in point: my daughter. She can be sound a sleep, looking like the most peaceful thing in the world without a single care. And then, in the course of like a fraction of a second, she will be screaming at the top of her lungs as though everything in the world is terrible. It’s the craziest swing of emotions. The part that’s even wilder is that she doesn’t seem to really want anything; she just wants to scream at the top of her lungs. It’s tough as a parent because you’re trying a billion different things to get her to stop crying (feed her/change her/swaddle her/bounce her/rock her/repeat), but Β nothing works and then you come to the conclusion that maybe she just wants to scream at an ear-piercing shriek level for an unknown amount of time. I don’t know if you’ve ever hung out with a screaming baby, but it can be kind of maddening. And then, just like that, she’ll be asleep, looking like the most peaceful, adorable thing that you’ve ever seen in your life again.

Parenting: it’s no joke.

Treasure the sleeping moments – they’re the only time you’ll get to watch the NBA playoffs [photo by D. Sharon Pruitt via Wikimedia Commons]

3 comments on “When the baby sleeps, then you watch the NBAAdd yours →

1. Mr. Forbes,

I feel you i have a lot of baby cousins and actually a few more were just born not to long ago. I love babies but at the same time they can get quite annoying. Is Hazel a good sleeper at night time?

1. Kyara,

It’s hit or miss at night. Some times she’ll sleep for 5 straight hours, but some times she’s restless every 2 hours or so.