Current Events Blog

Last week we worked on blogs as way to review movies, music, and games. A lot of people also like to blog about what is going on in the world. And while a current events blog can be fun, it’s important to understand that it’s more than just telling about what’s going on in the world. More than anything, a current events blog is your reaction/opinion to what is going on in the world. These people are often called “pundits”, and a lot of the time they are really annoying, but they actually get paid to give their opinions on the state of the world.

We’re going to work on two things today. First of all, I’m going to show you how to link an outside site into the blog. This is important for anybody blogging about current events, because then they can easily show their source for the information. Secondly, you’re going to choose a current event, give a brief summary, and then act as a pundit and give your opinion. Again, a minimum of 150 words is the expectation.

For current event news, use these sites:

Dogo News – this is my favorite news site for students. It has a lot of different information and is the best organized.

Student Daily News – another great site. I encourage you to look at “Human Interest News” under the Archives.

Time for Kids – a classic.

Alaska Dispatch News and KTUU – these are great sites for local news.

CBS Sports – a great site for sports news.

Spend 10 minutes looking through the sites. Find a current event that interests you, then act as a pundit and give your unashamed opinion on the topic. Remember, I don’t want you to summarize what’s happening. That is why you link the article. I want you to tell me what you think about it!

0 comments on “Current Events BlogAdd yours →